Notes from this morning's seminar with Richard, discussing potential topics and subject matter for my dissertation and dissertation proposal.
"How the ethical manifesto and production of the Innocent brand and it's retail products has helped to evolve the food and drinks industry within the United Kingdom."
- Works both side- both "Innocent" and suspicious. Look at the integrity of the Innocent brand in terms of their deal with McDonalds and their sponsorship of the 2012 Olympics.
- Profit sharing/sustainability/ethics.
- 8,000 words- 4 chapters, 1,500 words each, introduction and conclusion.
- The integrity of food and drinks brands after Innocent.
- TOPICS TO DISCUSS:
* Consumer Psychology
* Profit sharing
* Sustainable product sourcing
* Company brand and identity
* Sustainable methods of production
- READING MATERIAL:
* V. Papanek, Design for the Real World
* Cradle to Cradle
- DISSERTATION NEEDS:
* Content approach > Ecological/Communication theory?
- PRIMARY RESEARCH
* Study archives
* Our own interpretations of academic texts
- SECONDARY RESEARCH
* Books about topics/research
* Primary research
- FIND AS MANY BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT > FIND WHERE THE PRIMARY RESEARCH WILL COME FROM > SPECIFY CHAPTERS FOR DISSERTATION
- Literature search- 20 books (ish?), journals, periodicals, essays, TV interviews, Radio interviews, etc.
DESIGN FOR SOCIAL CHANGE (SPECIFIC INFORMATION)
- Design activism/political
- Baldwin, 'Visual Communication from Theory to Practice'... "All design is political".
- Graphic Design always supports one side of society.
- Balance of power and influence within society
- Dialectical materialism
- Economic measurable relations
- Superstructure is the higher power, Base is the economic reality
- FEMINIST STANDPOINT:
- Men have control over the mass media. Various aspects of the media reflect their position of power (e.g. Page 3 in 'The Sun' objectifying women, within films... women are rarely the dominant figure).
UNDERSTAND YOUR AUDIENCE
- Who are these products aimed at? AUDIENCE THEORY.
- ECO POLITICS
- Ideology (get critical definition!) = Political programme (personal beliefs)//False consciousness (MARXIST theory... created by the dominant classes, naturalised by the entirety of society (cements itself as the culture of everyone)... False way of thinking about the world).
- Klein, N, 'No Logo'- seminal in it's publication, activist summary of the system of American consumer culture. "No logo generation", led onto the OCCUPY movements, 1%/99%, "WE ARE THE 99%"... generated class consciousness.
- AdBusters, culture jammers... Intervening in the superstructures/base cycle.
CHAPTER IDEAS (From Richard...for generalised social change subject matter)
- Historical context
- Dominant ideology of this time
- Communication theory (messages to reveal society reality)
- Case study
- What are the differences?
- CULTURE is produced by the dominant classes in production.
- SUBCULTURE by the lower classes in production.
SEE LAST ESSAY for inspiration, sources, etc.
Discussed my proposal idea with Richard and the rest of the seminar group, and was really happy with the response I got, which seemed very positive. Just time for the research now!