Wednesday 7 December 2011

Essay Seminars//Notes.


On Monday, I attended two of the six available seminars in preparation for the CTS essay writing task, due for completion at the end of January. As stated in my last post, I have been considering writing about the food industry and sustainability- two particular interests of mine, which I believe I could maintain an interest with not only in this essay, but potentially (if it were strong enough) to go on to my dissertation also. 

The two seminars I attended were:
Sustainability/Globalisation/Ethics


Branding/Consumerism/Society

Taking along my (so far...!) essay proposal:
" How the food industry promotes social awareness & sustainability in contemporary cultures"

particularly looking at the Innocent Smoothie brand as a case study- a UK based company at the heart of the health food industry and contemporary cultures of healthy lifestyles- friendly, approachable company- ease to retain both primary and secondary source material from- and very modern, of the moment.


Particular areas I could look at within my essay include:

- Branding
- Packaging
- Politics
- Economics
- Advertising/Promotion
- Identity
- Social Awareness
- Ethics
- Fairtrade
- FSC
- Tetra Pak
- Co-Op
- Carbon neutral/Carbon footprint

From the two seminars, I found the sustainability one to be more engaging for my personal tastes and aspirations for the essay, though the branding seminar was undoubtedly insightful, and would be interesting to look at in terms of how Innocent portray themselves, and how their branded image plays about public and social consciousnesses. 

Along with important information, advice and confirmation that my idea had good potential (hooray!) our tutor, Richard, provided us with some great information, text resources, and potential starts to our bibliography (I attempted to scan them in- but my scanner really did the sheets no justice whatsoever...).

Richard also suggested that I "turn around" my essay title proposal- which I thought was an interesting idea, and inspired the title 

"How has evolving health awareness and social consciousness changed branding, design, and ethics in the food industry?"

which I will refine over the course of the next few days.

TO COMPLETE FOR NEXT WEEK (In for 19th December... but I want to get it done and ready!)

- Proposal title
- 6 text references (books/journals/videos) and written evidence of why they will be useful to me
- START READING NOW!
- Email Innocent Smoothie RE primary research- book meeting in London? Personal trip?
- An explination of my direction and proposed POA.

No comments:

Post a Comment